Is there an effective form of hair replacement for baldness?

Hair transplant. The only effective form of hair replacement is hair transplantation. Look for a hair loss specialist that performs microfollicular grafting for the most natural results.
Hair transplant. Carefully evaluated and well performed hair transplantation is a viable option for baldness.
Yes. Hair transplants have vastly improved over the last few decades. In the right hands, the newer follicular unit graft procedures can look nearly as good as natural hair. I would recommend finding a dermatologist or plastic surgeon that specializes in hair transplants. Some patterns of hair loss are better suited to transplants. Make sure to discuss what results you can expect with your pattern.