Can makeup cause dry skin to break out?

Acne & makeup. Yes. Clogged pores contribute to acne. Certain makeups can clog pores. "non-comedogenic" makeups are those lacking ingredients known to clog pores in most people. The key word being "most" people... Since some people can still experience acne even when using "non-comedogenic" products.
Acne Cosmetica. This is a problem for a lot of women who use heavy cosmetics. In days past, cosmetics were a lot heavier, like the materials used by actors and actresses. This material would jam up oil glands and cause acne dependably. Some people were actually addicted to the cosmetics and continue to have acne breakouts when they used them. These days efficient facial cleansers like cetaphil are available.