What is the first line of treatment for acne?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: OTC treatments
Topical treatments include over the counter products containing salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or a combination of both.
In addition for pustules and cysts heat producing home units can work like a laser in shrinking these lesions. A change in diet avoiding sugar and simple carbohydrates is often useful long term.

In brief: OTC treatments
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. David Voron
Dermatology
In brief: See below
I would start out with an over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide cleanser and cream for mild cases.
For more severe cases, the first line of treatment would be a prescription for oral doxycycline.

In brief: See below
Dr. David Voron
Dr. David Voron