What are the risk factors for preterm labor?

Not all have risks. Sometimes preterm labor, and even delivery, can happen in women with no known risk factors. If a pregnant woman doesn't have any of the typical risk factors like twins or triplets, bleeding, prior history of preterm birth, etc, she should call her OB if signs or symptoms of premature labor. If she does have those risks, she should be prepared to notify her OB and go to labor & delivery immediately.
Many. There are many risk factors for preterm birth. The best predictor is a previous preterm delivery with a prior pregnancy. Other risk factors include multiple gestation, short cervix, cigarette smoking, being a teenager, short interval between pregnancies, drug use, poor nutrition and being underweight or very overweight.