Does lemon juice help to clear up acne?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: No

The acid in lemon juicecdoes not clear acne and as with other home remedies such as toothpaste tougher burn skin and leave discoloration.
The best home remedy is either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid over the counter medicines. Changes in diet and oral zinc are also helpful. For cysts over the counter devices such as claro can shrink cysts with heat.

In brief: No

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Tsu-Yi Chuang
Dermatology

In brief: No.

I don't think so.

In brief: No.

I don't think so.
Dr. Tsu-Yi Chuang
Dr. Tsu-Yi Chuang
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dermatology

In brief: No but may exfoliate

Lemon juice is citric acid and using this on your face is very similar to getting a weak (fruit acid) chemical peel.
So it may help your skin by exfoliating and preventing clogged pores. However, it can also cause a photosensitive skin rash. It will not help treat the underlying process responsible for the acne. My advice is to see a dermatologist who can advise you how best to treat your acne.

In brief: No but may exfoliate

Dr. Ally-Khan Somani
Dr. Ally-Khan Somani