Will spinal hemangiomas lead to low blood count?

Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology
In brief: Usually not
Hemangiomas are benign blood vessel tumors.
Sometimes, if the tumors are quite large, blood platelets can get activated in these tumors and stick to the blood vessel walls. This can result in a low platelet count. Platelets are necessary for proper blood clotting. This problem is called kasabach merritt phenomenon and is actually quite rare. If it occurs, it could cause a bleening tendency.

In brief: Usually not
Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Dr. Martin Rubenstein
I agree with Dr. Rubenstein. I have never heard of Kasabach Merritt from a CNS hemangioma. Look for a different cause of anemia. Find out whether you may have von Hippel-Lindau disease as well if you do not yet already know.
Dr. Shoaib Shafique
Surgery - Vascular
Certain types of hemangiomas in CNS can cause low cell counts due to GI bleeding and anemia fro example blue rubber bleb nevus syndrome.

Dr. Shoaib Shafique
Dr. Shoaib Shafique
Dr. Steven Seres