A recent endoscopy revealed I have intestinal metaplasia in my stomach. Test for helicobacter pylori turned out negative. What is the probability of my condition becoming dysplasia and eventually gastric cancer?

Dr. Frederick Shieh
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Probably low

Intestinal metaplasia increases your risk of gastric cancer by 10-fold or more.
The actual percentage is not known, but from studies in the uk, can be as high as 11%. Numbers here in the us may be different. Endoscopic surveillance may be useful as it can catch development of dysplasia (a condition which predisposes to cancer) before it becomes full-fledged cancer. (source: asge guidelines).

In brief: Probably low

Dr. Frederick Shieh
Dr. Frederick Shieh
Dr. Adam Smith