What is a mucus plug?

A glob of mucus. A mucus plug is a glob of mucus from the cervix that may be passed hours, days or even weeks before labor occurs. It may be streaked with some blood. Passing the mucus plug when you are nearing your due date is normal and is usually of no concern.
Cervical mucus. The mucus plug is made up of thick cervical mucus that your body forms as soon as you're pregnant. The mucus protects and prevents anything from traveling up the cervix. 72 hours before labor, your cvx begins to change and the mucus loosens and mixes w/ blood from cervical change until it falls out as a "plug." Your cvx will continue to make mucus and you may have more discharge afterwards.
The mucus. That comes at of a pregnant cervix near or at term or sometimes way before.