What is an episiotomy?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Cutting vagina

An episiotomy is a small incision made during vaginal delivery to create more space for the baby.
It used to be used routinely, but recent studies show it is not necessary in most cases. Most doctors do not routinely cut episiotomies anymore. I rarely use this option except in emergencies or extreme circumstances.

In brief: Cutting vagina

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Diane Minich

In brief: Episiotomy

An episiotomy ), also known as perineotomy, is a surgically planned incision on the perineum and the posterior vaginal wall during second stage of labor.
The incision, which can be midline or at an angle from the posterior end of the vulva, is performed under local anesthetic (pudendal anesthesia), and is sutured closed after delivery.

In brief: Episiotomy

Dr. Diane Minich
Dr. Diane Minich