I have what's called cervical disc disease. I had a fusion on c5, C6 discs and it didn't fuse. I'm going back in for surgery next wednesday to redo the fusion. Is this something that can gradually go down my spine and leave me paralyzed?

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: No

That will not happen.

In brief: No

That will not happen.
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Unlikely

Hopefully you are not a smoker as this has the highest risk for affecting spine fusion rates.
Using bone from your iliac crest region will have the highest fusion rate. Some people tend to have more disc degeneration than others &this also tends to be genetic. Sometimes a fusion will accelerate adjacent level spine changes but it is very unlikely to leave you paralyzed by itself.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Michael Sparacino

In brief: Most likely, not

Degenerative disc disease is a form of arthritis involving the articulations of the spine.
As the disease progresses, the articulations become more and more dysfunctional. Many times the disease is self limiting and can be managed medically. Sometimes the articulations have to be stabilized surgically.

In brief: Most likely, not

Dr. Eric Weisman