I have pain in my belly button when I touch it, cough and sneeze, and it's red. No surgeries, piercings and I am not pregnant. What can this be ?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology

In brief: Omphalitis

Some people have a deep navel and a hairy abdomen.
Hairs have tiny barbs on them which can cause them to be trapped in the navel. This causes redness, pus, bleeding, and pain. Try cleaning it out with a q- tip. Castellani solution (otc) is excellent. If it causes severe problems a surgeon can remove the belly button. A scientist who studies belly buttons is called an omphalologist.

In brief: Omphalitis

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dr. Stuart Hickerson

In brief: Infection

Your umbilicus or belly button is a great place to collect moisture and it can commonly get infected with a fungal infection and sometimes a combined bacterial infection.
An umbilical hernia is possible, but usually not red. There is a remnant called urachus that can act like a hernia, but this would be unusual.

In brief: Infection

Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Adam Levy