Has spinal cord stimulation been used for treating chronic abdominal pain? I am in the process of pre-qualifying for this device.

Dr. Marshall Bedder
Pain Management

In brief: Not the best results

There are only a few low powered , non randomized studies showing benefit for abdominal pain.
It may work well initially but long term sustained results have not been shown. SCS works for some truncal pains that are nerve injury or inflammation related. You are young and if implanted will need lifelong maintenance of the device. make sure you have seen a GI specialist who has diagnosed your issue.

In brief: Not the best results

Dr. Marshall Bedder
Dr. Marshall Bedder
Dr. David Rosenfeld
If all else fails it may be worth a try. Overall results are mixed
Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: Not Aware

I am not aware of any such indication for spinal cord stimulation.
There are implanted GI stimulators that stimulate peristalisis but these are connected to the nerves associated with the bowels. I doubt that any insurer would approve payment for your problem.

In brief: Not Aware

Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. Mehul Desai
There are some cases series in the literature for abdominal pain. They show promising results but once for carefully selected patients.
Dr. Brian Le
Pain Management

In brief: SCS & abdominal pain

There are case reports of scs used for abdominal pain with great success.
In animal model, scs suppresses visceral response to colon distension. In humans, it may be an effective therapy for chronic pain of pelvic origin, irritable bowel syndrome, and persistent unspecified abdominal pain. More studies are needed to better understand the mechanism.

In brief: SCS & abdominal pain

Dr. Brian Le
Dr. Brian Le
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine