What is a radical neck dissection for?

Remove lymph nodes. This is a procedure that removes all of the lymphatic tissue in the neck. A radical neck involved removing the jugular vein, muscles, and some nerves as well. Currently surgeons performed a modified radical neck which preserves most of these structures. This procedure is performed to remove metastatic disease of the neck.
Cancer. This operation is used to remove lymph nodes that harbor or ate expected to harbor metastatic tumor. It is commonly done for squamous cell carcinoma, melanoma, and thyroid cancer.
Head and neck ca. A radical neck dissection is the removal of all the lymph nodes on one aide of the neck. It is used in the treatment of head and neck cancers.