Dry mouth and white spots on tonsils. Throat culture negative. What could it be?

Mucous deposits? Dry mouth could be the cause. You did not say whether or not your throat was sore and if not then there should not be any problem with the tonsils. I would be more concerned about the dry mouth and find out the cause. Many common prescription and otc meds can cause it and the condition could increase your risk for cavities and gum disease.
Spots on Tonsils. Dry spots on tonsils can be from crypts in the tonsils themselves that trap epithelial debris and often contribute to bad breath. It can also be a fungal infection especially if you have taken antibiotics recently or are immune compromised for some reason. Check with your pcp or ENT for a more definitive answer.