What does a breast fine needle biopsy feel like?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Minimal pain

A fine needle biopsy is performed with a needle about the same size as is used to draw blood and it hurts only a little bit more.
Many surgeons, such as myself, will use local anesthesia to decrease this pain further. Nowadays, it is much more common to have a core needle biopsy, which will give us a lot more information with only a little more discomfort.

In brief: Minimal pain

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Winnie Polen
Breast Surgery

In brief: Pressure

This procedure is where the physician samples some cells from an area in your breast.
There is no incision. The area is numbed with local anesthetic. Then the physician uses a needle attached to a syringe and moves it back and forth several times through the area in your breast.

In brief: Pressure

Dr. Winnie Polen
Dr. Winnie Polen
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery