Could taking antibiotics like doxycycline, bactrim and Macrobid have caused my baby to have a complete agenesis of the corpus callosum? The drugs were prescribed by the doctor for e-coli and ut infections and taken during the first trimester of pregnancy

In brief: No apparent link

The meds above have not been linked to acc.
Any triggering process is in play at or before the 4th month, when the cc normally forms.Acc has been found as a sporadic event, or showing autosomal dominant, recessive or x linked forms of inheritance.It can occur in normal people or as part af a significant syndrome or chromosome defect. Genetic eval & counseling are indicated for all cases.

In brief: No apparent link

Dr. Stuart Hickerson

In brief: Possible

Agenesis of the corpus callosum is associated with abnormal development of the brain between 3rd and 12th week of pregnancy.
Alcohol for example is a known substance associated with this abnormaility. Antibiotics are a possibility, but I do not believe there has been a defininite link established. Macrodantin is class b, pretty safe, Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is c and Doxycycline d.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Dr. Jane Van Dis