What can we do for an 18 year old with aspergers who seems to be getting more violent when he doesn't get what he wants? He still has not gotten his drivers license and is refusing to try. He also refuses to get a job, which he has held down one before.

Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: This is difficult.

Difficult because the 18yo is now an adult in most states.
As an adult the 18yo has a right to make one's own choice even if the choice is not perfect. The answer would be to find a counselor who the 18yo trusts and who can help the 18yo to make educated choices. However, if the 18yo is not able to take care of oneself there may be a legal option to find a guardian who can step in.

In brief: This is difficult.

Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Dr. Frank Gaskill
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral

In brief: Aspergers

This can be really difficult.
I have had several clients in the same situation and it takes some time and effort. My best successes have included family therapy, tough natural consequences, meaningful positive success including driver's license and a job of any sort, and medication. Here's my take on the spectrum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg1ngp1ngds.

In brief: Aspergers

This can be really difficult.
Dr. Frank Gaskill
Dr. Frank Gaskill
Dr. Jonathan Jassey