Is it common to have a fine needle biopsy of thyroid nodules before surgery?

FNA helps. Fna (fine needle aspiration, i.e. Needle biopsy) helps by clarifying what type of cells are present in a thyroid nodule. The typically can come back as either a) cancerous, b) benign or c) can't tell for sure. It will help your surgeon come up with a surgical plan that best fits you.
If tumor suspected. Fna can provide a diagnosis before surgery and facilitate the planning of surgery and extent of surgery.
Yes. Fine needle aspiration is often needed before surgery. The result helps the surgeon decides how to proceed with surgery (lobectomy vs. Subtotal vs. Total thyroidectomy +/- lymph node dissections).