Is it common to have a fine needle biopsy of thyroid nodules before surgery?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: FNA helps
e. Needle biopsy) helps by clarifying what type of cells are present in a thyroid nodule. The typically can come back as either a) cancerous, b) benign or c) can't tell for sure. It will help your surgeon come up with a surgical plan that best fits you.

In brief: FNA helps
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mark Deutsch
However, if I plan on performing surgery anyway secondary to the clinical presentation; I will often forego the FNA.
Pathology
In brief: If tumor suspected
Fna can provide a diagnosis before surgery and facilitate the planning of surgery and extent of surgery.

In brief: If tumor suspected
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
Fine needle aspiration is often needed before surgery.
The result helps the surgeon decides how to proceed with surgery (lobectomy vs. Subtotal vs. Total thyroidectomy +/- lymph node dissections).

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery