If a disease is in remission, does that mean that it is cured?

Dr. Devon Webster
Internal Medicine - Oncology
In brief: Sometimes
For cancer, "remission" means we can't detect cancer in your body.
You might have cancer cells somewhere that we can't see. In other diseases, remission usually means temporarily gone or not causing symptoms. I use the word "remission" in cancers that are gone for now, but have a high chance of returning. I use the word "cure" only when I am quite certain the cancer is never coming back.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Devon Webster
Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: No cure
In many cases where tumors regress with therapy such as using chemotherapy there are malignant stem cells, 1 per 50k tumor cells.
These stem cells have enzymes that repair DNA damage and survive. When the tumor is supposedly gone or in remission eventually the stem cells reappear as regrowth of tumor. Other cancer cells in marrow eventually escape to cause regrowth of tumor which was not cured

In brief: No cure
Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Myron Arlen
Dr. Marsha Davis