Can thumb sucking disfigure the teeth?

Yes. The same as using a pacifier. It can cause rounding of the top front teeth and an over bite.
Teeth no, jaws yes. Thumb or finger sucking habit can pull upper jaw forward (buck teeth), prevent lower jaw from growing forward, and narrow the upper jaw (remember the roof of the mouth is the floor of the nose) which can affect breathing. If upper jaw narrowed and patient becomes mouth breather, can irritate tonsils and adenoids. Pacifier less harmful. Try to gently encourage discontinuing habit by 4th b'day.
Yes. While the thumb sucking will not disfigure the "teeth" it will disfigure the child's mouth in the same way that a pacifier habit will. The teeth will remain the same shape and size, but they can be displaced by the habit.