What is the difference between nocturnal panic attacks and sleep apnea?

Different problems. Sleep apnea is a breathing-related sleep disorder involving brief periods that a person stops breathing while sleeping. This triggers an alarm system in the brain to wake the person up so he/she will start breathing again. Nocturnal panic attacks are discrete periods involving extreme anxiety associated with physiological changes in heart rate, breathing, sweating, etc. That occur at night.
Two main things. Anxiety feelings while lying flat on one's back, can be a problem with the heart or lungs. One is still breathimg, just not getting enough oxygen. That is called orthopnea. Sleep apnea- obstructve type- the person stops breathing while asleep. A sleep study is something to talk to your doctor about. Obsructive sleep apnea is ofteb associated wih being overweight. Orthopnic folkz may not be.