Is it advantageous to take pristiq (desvenlafaxine) over Effexor xr?

Maybe. Pristiq is a cogener of effexor...Pristiq is the right rotatory molecule of the racemic mixture known as effexor...Basically, the same medication...Pristiq is more potent..Venlafaxine versus desvenlafaxine...Don't confuse potency with efficacy, however...
Pristiq - Effexor Xr. They both contain the same active ingredients. Dosing may be simpler with Pristiq then Effexor XR. See: http://www.iodine.com/compare/effexor-vs-pristiq.