How is breast cancer distinguished from lumpy breasts?

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Consistent BSE

Some breast cancers can only be detected on mammogram/ultrasound/mri.
It is important for you to perform your own self exam (bse) every month. Your goal is to get to know your "lumpiness" so you can detect something that feels different.

In brief: Consistent BSE

No physician knows your breasts as well as you do -- and both know them far better than a mammography machine. Call me old-fashioned, but I have great confidence in American woman to identify the really troublesome lesions. They will be very new or obviously (to the woman) dominant.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Exam, Ultrasound

As a breast surgeon, a significant part of my practice is devoted to this dilemma.
Self-examination definitely helps finding cancers but can be very difficult, since most women have "lumpy, bumpy" breasts; breast examination supplemented by ultrasound is the best way to distinguish the two. Other tools including needle (aspiration) biopsy, mammography, or even MRI may sometimes be helpful.

In brief: Exam, Ultrasound

Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery