Does Paget disease start as eczema in the breast?

Dr. Doanh Nguyen, md, faaaai
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: In a sense, yes

Paget disease of the breast starts with eczema-like lesion around the nipple and areola but it does not response to regular treatment.
It's a type of breast cancer. Any breast lesions or lumps deserve a doctor's visit especially if you are in the high risk group, e.I. 40 or older, family history of breast cancer...

In brief: In a sense, yes

Dr. Doanh Nguyen, md, faaaai
Dr. Doanh Nguyen, md, faaaai
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: No.

Paget's disease may confuse people because it resembles eczema, but it is a distinctly different disease.
Paget's disease always involves the nipple first, so, if you have a rash on the breast and it spares the nipple, it's not paget's.

In brief: No.

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham