Can using Premarin (conjugated estrogens) cause lung cancer?

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology

In brief: Unlikely

It is unknown if Estrogens cause lung cancer but the answer is probably not.
The two biggest causes of lung cancer include smoke exposure (passive or active) and radon. Premarin (conjugated estrogens) (an estrogen) is associated with heart attack, stroke, and blood clot but lung cancer is usually not considered an association with taking this drug.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Aaron Milstone
Dr. Aaron Milstone
2 comments
Dr. Douglas Arenberg
There are several groups of scientists with a strong track record of tying hormones and hormone to a heightened risk of lung cancer. I am not sure the data are that compelling. I have read and reviewed several grants to further investigate this and I remain unconvinced of any connection.
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: No

Premarin (conjugated estrogens) use increases probability of breast cancer, but lung cancer does not have a similar "estrogen receptor" to stimulate growth.
It's smoking active or passive in more than 90%. Radon is blamed epidemiologically, but there are many industrial and environmental carcinogens, and metals, nickel and cadmium, and last marijuana: tobacco companies like to blame every one; but tobacco is lethal.

In brief: No

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Vicken Poochikian