Can ovarian cysts be problematic with an iud?

No. Ovarian cysts should not be problematic for an intrauterine device. They have no correlation with an iud that i know of. As long as the iud is where it is inside the uterus, the cysts shouldn't be causing problems with the iud.
Ovarian Cyst. Ovarian cysts can occur with or without an iud. If your iud is the mirena, (levonorgestrel) ovarian cysts may occur and disappear according to their patient handout. Personally, I have never had any problems with ovarian cysts and iud in my practice. Most benigh ovarian cysts resolve by themselves.