Can mesothelioma lead to lung cancer?

Yes. Mesothelioma is actually a type of cancer; this cancer affects the lining of the lung and can be very difficult to treat. It usually occurs in smokers who have had asbestos exposure; sometimes the asbestos exposure may have occurred many years ago.
Mesothelioma. Mesothelioma is actually a type of cancer that affected the lining of the lung. It is highly associated with exposure of asbestos. If one is also a heavy smoker and have significant exposure to asbestos- not only he/she has a very significant risk for mesothelioma but also his/her risk for developing lung cancer will be very high.
Semantics for most. Meso - is a malignancy of the lining of the lungs, commonly assoicated with asbestos exposure, and linked to smoking too. Asbestos causes lung cancer and meso. Meso is daunting to overcome in the first place, and outcome highly dependent on cell type which can determine behavior. Treatment of meso is tough. I'd get through that more than worry about what is next.