Is propofol safe for a patient with sleep apnea?

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dentistry

In brief: Yes, no problem

In fact i had surgery just last week, and Propofol was used for my anesthesia too.
I have sleep apnea, and there were no issues whatsoever. Your physician and anesthesiologist do need to know about your apnea, so be sure you tell them in advance.

In brief: Yes, no problem

Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Jeffrey Jarvis
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Anesthesiology

It is not so much the drug used but the training and experience of the practitioner that is important.
Any drug, such as Propofol that can cause one to undergo general anesthesia or deep sedation needs to be monitored closely and with proper technique (use of the drugs) people with sleep-apnea should do well.

Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Mitchell Zeitler
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Anesthesiology

When used appropriately.
Only an anesthesiologist should administer Propofol since it is very potent and can lead to respiratory depression and hypotension.

When used appropriately.
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Orrin Ailloni-Charas
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: It depends

On the anesthetic plan and the experience of the anesthesiologist.
Having sleep apnea is not necessarily a contraindication to having Propofol used in anesthesia but is definitely a consideration in any type of general anesthetic.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Daniel Sampson
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology