How can I avoid preterm labor?

We MFMs wish we knew. Physicians and nurses who care for pregnant patients, physicians and all other providers who take care of preemies through their lifetimes, parents and researchers have looked at many ways to prevent preterm labor and delivery and its effects on children and families. At this point we do not even know all the causes. Plus we often lack treatment. Funding of research is what we need along with care.
Complicated Question. Avoid preterm labor by concentrating on modifiable risk factors such as smoking, drug use, malnutrition. Unfortunately, most risk factors for preterm birth are non-modifiable. Talk to your doctor about your risk factors. Options if you are at increased risk include cervical length measurements, fetal fibronectin, Progesterone treatments, hydration, bedrest. Tocolytics may help if you are symptomatic and at risk of imminent delivery.
Preterm labor med. Women who have experienced preterm delivery (less than 37 weeks) are candidates for treatment with weekly injections of 17 hydroxyprogesterone caproate. This drug is the only medication currently approved for the prevention of preterm labor. It is given as weekly injections, starting at about 16 weeks through 36 weeks.