When is it necessary to get breast reconstruction?

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: For yourself
There is no purely medical reason to undergo breast reconstruction.
The benefits are mostly emotional and psychological, and they are real and numerous. You will look better, feel better, and think of yourself as more feminine with reconstructed breasts rather than having no breasts at all.

In brief: For yourself
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Never
Breast reconstruction is an excellent option for women who undergo breast removal (mastectomy) but is never mandatory.
Many women find it advantageous to undergo reconstruction at the same time as their mastectomy; however, it can also be performed on a delayed basis months or years later.

In brief: Never
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Breast reconstruction is always optional. It is not absolutely necessary for your physical health. It can significantly improve your emotional and psychological well being, however.
Dr. Ergun Kocak
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: BreastReconstruction
Unlike a mastectomy or lumpectomy, which are sometimes necessary for treating a cancer, breast reconstruction is considered an elective operation.
Therefore, in most cases, breast reconstruction is not needed to actually treat the cancer. I always let my patients know that no reconstruction after mastectomy is always an option.

In brief: BreastReconstruction
Dr. Ergun Kocak
Dr. Ergun Kocak
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Reconstruction
I believe that it needs to be understood that in the usa studies have shown that only 35% of women are explained their options regarding breast reconstruction.
The group with the lowest rate is in unacculturated latinas. So from someone who reconstructs limbs to walk on and arms to work with and jaws to chew i take breast reconstruction very seriously. A federal law helps women get breast recon!

In brief: Reconstruction
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Very interesting and informative answer. I learned something new
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: It isn't.
It is elective.

In brief: It isn't.
It is elective.
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Never
It's never necessary but it's something that should be offered to all women considering mastectomy.

In brief: Never
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Alex Lechtman
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery