When should you consider breast reconstruction?

Dr. Tito Vasquez
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: As soon as possible

I understand that receiving a breast cancer diagnosis is very difficult.
That being said, as soon as you speak to your breast cancer surgeon, you should always inquire about the options for reconstruction, even if you are having breast conserving surgery. You may consider to have a procedure to match your other breast to the affected side.

In brief: As soon as possible

Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Tito Vasquez
Dr. Rimma Finkel
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: As soon as diagnosed

Though hearing a breast cancer diagnosis is difficult and overwhelming, it is important to know your options both for cancer treatment and reconstruction.
That way you can make a good decision as to what to do.

In brief: As soon as diagnosed

Dr. Rimma Finkel
Dr. Rimma Finkel
Dr. Richard Baxter
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Before mastectomy

It is very important to have complete information about your reconstruction options before the mastectomy is done.
In many cases an immediate reconstruction can be started or even completed in one stage at the time of the mastectomy. It is not suitable for every case but knowing your options can help you make the right decisions.

In brief: Before mastectomy

Dr. Richard Baxter
Dr. Richard Baxter
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Timing for BR

Will depend on the postoperative plan.
If you will need radiation it might be better to wait although more and more we are trying to speed up the process by addressing the breast reconstruction at the time of mastectomy (immediate). This will be the preferred time as you save time and risks of added surgery.

In brief: Timing for BR

Will depend on the postoperative plan.
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. Humberto Palladino
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Decreases adverse

Psychological reaction secondary to grief reaction caused by loss of body part & best clinical results when 1st stage done concommitantly w mastectomy( plus saves 1 trip to or) if mastectomy is chosen, bilateral mastectomy & reconstruction is always a good choice in my opinion because aesthetic results are better & there is some protection from future new breast cancers.

In brief: Decreases adverse

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Post-mastectomy

Almost every woman who needs a mastectomy is a potential candidate for the option of reconstruction.
Studies show that most women who do not get a reconstruction at the same time of their mastectomy do not return for a "delayed" reconstruction. Therefore, i offer to almost all of my mastectomy patients the option of meeting with a plastic surgeon pre-operatively.

In brief: Post-mastectomy

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
In addition, some women are candidates for reconstruction after LUMPECTOMY. If you are unsatisfied with your cosmetic results following breast conserving therapy, many aesthetic options exist and are covered by health insurance.
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Timing

Timing is everything.
I attend meeting every week with breast specialists to discuss options. If you are having a mastectomy you should see a plastic surgeon. Having reconstruction at the same time is the majority of my patients choice. I work closely with breast surgeons to accommodate the scheduling of these cases. Good luck.

In brief: Timing

Timing is everything.
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Earlier....

Earlier surgery in patients with small cancers leads to better results in general.

In brief: Earlier....

Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia