What happens in a breast reconstruction surgery?

Depends. Breast reconstruction performed with a tissue expander results in a device placed beneath the skin and muscle which gradually is filled with saline after your surgery. Each fill results in the skin stretching more and more to accommodate a permanent implant which would be placed at a second surgery. A nipple would be reconstructed at a third procedure.
Breast Cancer. I prefer that women have immediate breast reconstruction provided that it is safe from a cancer perspective. I have provided all of the options to my patients including fat grafting with later use of brava, single and two stage implant reconstruction, all types of flap reconstruction, and combinations of these techniques. Then in some instances I help the breast surgeon with the mastectomies.
Depends. Breast reconstruction could involve several different options or steps depending on what is recommended for you. You should consult with a plastic surgeon prior to any major breast surgery to go over your options and discuss what is involved. Most women choose to have their reconstruction immediately. However, some don't choose any at all or choose to wait a year or more. It's really up to you.
Depends. If you choose to have reconstruction with your own tissues, you still have 3 surgeries to complete the reconstruction, but avoid implant complications/exchanges that are necessary 10-15 years down the road. The initial surgery is longer, but the problems that come with implants long term are avoided.
Create "new" breasts. The goal of reconstruction following mastectomy is to create the illusion of still having breasts. In general, there are two techniques: transferring tissue from one part of the body to the chest wall ("flaps"), or slowly stretching the skin until it can accomodate a permanent implant. Even with excellent cosmetic results, there will be very little sensitivity over the skin in this area.