What are the effects of breast cancer on the body?

This is complex.. The hope is to diagnosis breast cancer when it is confined to the breast. At this stage, the cancer does not affect the rest of the body, but the treatments can (side effects). When a cancer spreads, the effects depend on the area of the body that contains the cells that have spread. Most common: lungs, liver, brain, bone.
Uncontrolled growth. Cancer cells follow no rules. They start in one organ then spread to other parts, wreaking havoc along the way. The tumors will then interfere with the normal functions of the body until they become overwhelmed then start to shut down, ultimately leading to death. That's why it's important to find cancer in an early stage, when treatment is most effective.