What should be my next step if i'm diagnosed with atypical ductal hyperplasia?

Dr. John Rimmer
Surgery

In brief: Chemoprevention

There is an increased risk of developing breast cancer associated with a tissue diagnosis of atypical ductal hyperplasia.
This risk can be reduced by taking exists or tamoxifen. Please go and consult with a medical oncologist with an interest in breast cancer to discuss the risk and benefits of chemoprevention.

In brief: Chemoprevention

Dr. John Rimmer
Dr. John Rimmer
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Determine risks

If your lump has been entirely removed, you have time to consider your options.
I would consider seeing an oncologist (doctor who specializes in cancer) who can determine your risks of developing cancer using the gail risk assessment scale. You might qualify for a clinical study of preventative treatments; at the very least you need to have close follow up for the rest of your life.

In brief: Determine risks

Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: See a breast surgeon

Atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH (vasopressin)) can only be diagnosed by breast biopsy, and is often an incidental finding.
This is not a pre-cancerous condition, however women with ADH (vasopressin) have a 2-4 fold increased lifetime risk of developing breast cancer. This warrants close surveillance, yearly mammograms, and consideration of "chemoprevention" by taking tamoxifen for 5 years.

In brief: See a breast surgeon

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery