Is it possible to get stitches for a gunshot wound?

Dr. Jon Krook
Surgery

In brief: Usually not

Usually bullet wounds are dirty.
We usually leave them open to heal by secondary intention (from the inside out.).

In brief: Usually not

Usually bullet wounds are dirty.
Dr. Jon Krook
Dr. Jon Krook
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Wound care

Modern wound care now allows the area to be debrided and the area closed with stitches.
I generally place a wick of restore silver into the cavity and close the skin over this and remove the silver wick in several days.

Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Robert Dorsey
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Wound care

In brief: Yes, but don't

Most GSWs are penetrating injuries leaving a deep tunnel.
Any bacteria, dead tissue etc at the base of this tunnel will be flushed out by your body's immune system. if you sew it closed. You trap all that garbage inside. Obviously there are exceptions. Like when they have to open your abdomen to fix what is inside ... then you can have all of the stitches you want.

In brief: Yes, but don't

Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Erik Borncamp
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology

If the wound requires stitching, and can be closed, then can be done by er doc or surgeon.
Will probably also get tetanus booster and antibiotics. If wound needs more exploration, the appropriate surgeon will do so. I hope you are not sitting at home with a gunshot wound. If so, go to er already!

Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care

In brief: Risky business

Bullets carry s lot of energy.
When striking tissues, energy damages surrounding tissues and carries bacteria, clothing fragments, etc into the tissues. Only time reveals the extent of damage done. Debridement is a bad idea as you may take too little or too much tissue. Leaving any behind and closing over it is a big no no. It needs to be dressed and observed closely until good and bad separate.

In brief: Risky business

Bullets carry s lot of energy.
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine