If my spleen ruptures will I die immediately?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Unlikely

The most common cause of splenic injury is blunt trauma that occurs folllowing motor vehicle crashes.
The degree of injury can vary from a mild bruise, to a tear, to a frank rupture. The spleen is a very vascular organ; if the injury is severe, life-threatening bleeding can occur that, if left untreated, can lead to death. Thankfully, most people make it to the er before that occurs.

In brief: Unlikely

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen

In brief: No

There are few spontaneous splenic ruptures.
Most relate to significant trauma. Even with splenic tear, some are confined and may heal.Others require surgery with some salvaged and some removed. The bleeding amount and speed depends on the area and degree of splenic injury.

In brief: No

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright