How is an enlarged spleen different from a fatty liver?

Different organs. Spleen is on upper left side of abdomen and filters blood of bacteria and dead cells. Liver is upper right and metabolizes substances, makes proteins, controls acid-base among others. If fatty liver progresses to cirrhosis -scarred liver- the blood pressure in the liver vessels can get high. This can back up into the spleen and cause it to get congested and enlarged.
Different organs. A fatty liver is a condition where excess fat cells build up in the liver and can negatively affect the function of the liver. In bad cases it can sometimes cause a type of cirrhosis. An enlarged spleen can be caused by significant liver damage from a variety of causes, or an enlarged spleen can be caused purely from spleen or blood disorders.