How do doctors diagnose a ruptured spleen?

CAT Scan. Rupture of the spleen most commonly occurs after blunt abdominal trauma such as a car crash. Most ers will perform a ct of the abdomen when there is suspicion of abdominal trauma; these scans are very effective in the dx. If a patient is too unstable for a ct scan, an ultrasound may be performed at bedside leading to this diagnosis, yet this test is less specific for diagnosing splenic injury.
Exams. Usually a history of trauma fell off bike, etc or a history of enlarged spleen mono/ leukemia etc suspicion and testing ultrasound may show abdominal fluid ct computed tomography will show it. Sometimes in acute trauma it is found at open abdominal exploration.