Can I do anything to prevent myself from getting breast cancer?

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: Healthy weight
We are not able to control most risk factors for breast cancer, such as being female, aging, and family history.
We can control our weight, as obesity is linked to an increased risk of breast cancer. In addition we can perform routine screening. Early detection leads to the best chance of a cure. Limit your alcohol intake, have babies, breast feed, and increase your physical activity.

In brief: Healthy weight
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Travis Kidner
Dr. Deanna Attai
Breast Surgery
In brief: Possibly
There is no way to 100% prevent breast cancer from developing, but your risk can be reduced by maintaining a healthy diet and weight, getting moderate regular exercise, reducing stress, and possibly by reducing exposure to various toxins.
Tamoxifen and Raloxifene can reduce risk for women at elevated risk.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Deanna Attai
Dr. Deanna Attai
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Yes.
While we do not have a clear understanding of why people get breast cancer, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including a low-fat diet, avoidance of tobacco and alcohol, and exercise, can help.
In addition, women at high risk for breast cancer can take tamoxifen for 5 years, which can reduce their risk of cancer development by 50%.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
2 comments
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Tamoxifen or raloxifene can help prevent breast cancer.
Dr. Barry Rosen
True that! I still favor Tam over Evista due to the former's effect on DCIS, but, have switched to Evista if side-effects entered into the equation.