Will I be able to tell if i'm at risk of getting an inguinal hernia?

Dr. David Earle
Surgery

In brief: No

We know that people with inguinal hernias have abnormal connective tissue (types of collagen) more frequently than people without hernias.
This suggests a genetic cause. There is no testing for this outside of research settings, and no other signs you can watch out for. Best to not worry about, and live normally. If you do happen to get a hernia, its something that can be fixed. Hope this helps!

In brief: No

Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle

In brief: No

Men are 25 times more likely to have an inguinal hernia than women.
This is due to the larger size of their inguinal canal which transmitted the testicle and accommodates the structures of the spermatic cord. Moreover strenuous recurrent activities might be a precursor / triggering factor for the development of different forms of inguinal hernia. Hope my answer helped you.

In brief: No

Dr. Shady Macaron
Dr. Shady Macaron

In brief: No

All people are at risk for inguinal hernias.
It is a consequence of a four legged animal body design coming to walk upright. There are risk factors, but even sedentary people can develop them. If you are concerned, you should see your doctor and be examined.

In brief: No

Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo
Dr. J. C. DiGiacomo
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery