When is it okay to not have surgery for a hernia?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Small, asymptomatic
If a hernia is very small and not causing any symtoms, it can be safely watched (depending upon the location and type of hernia).
The decision to operate is always balanced by the age and health of the patient.

In brief: Small, asymptomatic
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. David Earle
Surgery
In brief: No problems
If a hernia isn't causing pain or discomfort, it is ok to observe, unless you want to prevent it from getting worse.
Enlargement without pain is another sign to repair it before it becomes too difficult. I have seen patients wait until the LP is the size of a basketball because it didn't cause pain. Risk of both observation and repair is generally small, but highly variable. See a general surgeon.

In brief: No problems
Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle