What sorts of things make a person have a higher risk of getting a femoral hernia?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Overexertion
Femoral hernias are typically congenital, meaning that one is born with the defect leading to the hernia.
However, prolonged exertion or stresses such as obesity may increase the probability of these growing to the point where they become evident.

In brief: Overexertion
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. David Earle
Surgery
In brief: Genetics
Most people that perform strenuous activity for a living or who are obese do not have femoral hernias.
In fact, many o the patients I have treated for this over the years have been sedentary and thin. There are many unknown factors that cause a groin hernia of any type, and genetics is one if those factors. In other words, you shouldn't limit activity for fear if developing a femoral hernia.

In brief: Genetics
Dr. David Earle
Dr. David Earle
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery