What sorts of things make a person have a higher risk of getting a femoral hernia?

Overexertion. Femoral hernias are typically congenital, meaning that one is born with the defect leading to the hernia. However, prolonged exertion or stresses such as obesity may increase the probability of these growing to the point where they become evident.
Genetics. Most people that perform strenuous activity for a living or who are obese do not have femoral hernias. In fact, many o the patients I have treated for this over the years have been sedentary and thin. There are many unknown factors that cause a groin hernia of any type, and genetics is one if those factors. In other words, you shouldn't limit activity for fear if developing a femoral hernia.