It is always necessary to have surgery for a femoral hernia?

Typically. The vast majority of inguinal and femoral hernias require surgical repair especially if they are symptomatic. They will not improve without treatment.
Yes. Femoral hernias are a unique type of groin hernia which have a 10-fold higher risk of complications than inguinal hernias. Therefore, unless there is a prohibitively high risk of elective surgery, all femoral hernias should be repaired. In contrast, small inguinal hernias that are easily reducible and not causing symptoms may sometimes be safely watched.
Yes. Femoral hernias can obstruct and strangle the blood supply to the bowel...I have always repaired these when first noted in my office.