How can I avoid putting pressure on my arm and prevent breast lymphedema?

Dr. James Isobe
Phlebology

In brief: General care

Lymphedema of the arm is seen following breast procedures (axillary dissection, radiation), and avoiding putting pressure on the arm doesn't prevent the swelling.
Avoid scratches, injury of the arm that can result in infection and further damage of the lymphatics. Seek help of a lymphedema trained physical therapist for specific advice.

In brief: General care

Dr. James Isobe
Dr. James Isobe
Dr. Vasu Brown
Integrative Medicine

In brief: Stimulate other side

To help relieve stress stimulate your opposite arm pit by massaging daily - called manual lymph drainage.
There are lymph massage tools available over the counter. Then do the same massage on affected arm this will prevent lymphedema on the affected side.

In brief: Stimulate other side

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Jane Van Dis