Is a breast reconstruction recommended after a mastectomy?

Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Up to the patient

This is a complex question, but in almost all cases the choice is up to the patient.
Reconstruction can be done at the time of mastectomy or later on; both have advantages and disadvantages. I would recommend consultation with one or more plastic surgeons experienced in breast reconstruction to explore the options in your particular case.

In brief: Up to the patient

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: IndividualPreference

I would consider it an option rather than a recommendation.
In my experience, this decision comes very easily to most women who are faced with the need to have a mastectomy--i have met very few women who are on the fence with regard to this. Like any operation, there are pro's and con's, but it is rare that we cannot offer some form of reconstruction to anyone who desires this.

In brief: IndividualPreference

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Personal choice

Breast reconstruction isn't for everyone but it certainly offers several benefits.
The most significant benefit is not having to experience living without a breast. Reconstruction can be performed at the same time as the mastectomy ("immediate reconstruction"), or any time after ("delayed reconstruction"). There are many reconstructive options ranging from breast implants to using your own tissue.

In brief: Personal choice

Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Dr. Minas Chrysopoulo
Dr. Ergun Kocak
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Recommended

Some patients would prefer to have immediate breast reconstruction surgery, especially if their mastectomy is for preventing high risk of breast cancer. If the patient has to undergo additional treatments such as chemotherapy or radiation, then a delayed breast reconstruction surgery may be recommended.
https://www.mwbreast.com/breast-reconstruction-timing-immediate-vs-delayed-infographic/

In brief: Recommended

Dr. Ergun Kocak
Dr. Ergun Kocak
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Elective

It is possible in the healthy patient but it is a "patient's choice" item. It is elective.

In brief: Elective

Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery