What are the odds of getting breast cancer twice?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: 0.5-3% per year

The risk of developing a second breast cancer varies with the age of the patient and whether they have the hereditary or environmental form of breast cancer. In general, this rate varies between 0.
5-3%.

In brief: 0.5-3% per year

5-3%.
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Kathryn Wagner
MRI has been helpful here. It is often used now before surgery in younger pt to be sure no other mammo undetected lesions exist which is thought to be a cause of early 'recurrence' that may have been missed the first time
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Risk factors

This is a difficult question to answer in a general fashion.
Knowing the specifics of the first breast cancer like stage and treatment are important. Also risk factors like family history and brca status play a role. I recommend you contact your oncologist or surgeon and possibly a genetic cancer to review your individual risk and get a personalized answer.

In brief: Risk factors

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton