What tests will I need in the second trimester of my pregnancy?

Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz

In brief: Afp, ultrasound

Between 15 and 20 weeks you should be offered the second trimester screening or "afp" test which assess risk for some fetal chromosomal and anatomic abnormalities via a maternal blood test.
This is not a diagnostic test. Most will also be offered an ultrasound at approx 20 weeks to screen visually for anatomy and fetal growth. The diabetes screeening test will happen at the beginning of third tri-.

In brief: Afp, ultrasound

Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz
Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz
Pathology

In brief: Screening tests

Tests in second trimester are meant to screen for fetal abnormalities and defects.
Ultrasound examination and blood tests for afp, beta hcg, estriol, inhibin may be done to assess placental health, neural tube defects, trisomy etc.

In brief: Screening tests

Dr. Adam Levy