How painful is breast reduction surgery?

Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Well Tolerated

Generally, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. It is also relatively well tolerated with most patients requiring pain medications for the first 5 to 7 days.

In brief: Well Tolerated

Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Not bad

While this is a big operation, it involves skin, fat, and breast tissue only.
You will be given pain medicine to take postoperatively and this should handle any discomfort you have. Most patients describe the pain as feeling like you have done too many pushups: soreness of the chest muscles.

In brief: Not bad

Dr. Barry Handler
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Breast Reduction

I have done over 300 breast reductions with all but two of those patients winding up happy they had the surgery.
Most find the discomfort transient, quite tolerable and well worth it to relieve them of the symptoms they originally sought treatment for.

In brief: Breast Reduction