Is breast enlargement surgery very painful?

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Mildly
Fear of the unknown is the greatest impediment to women undergoing breast augmentation.
Implants placed under the pectorals major muscle will result in very sore muscles for a few days. Implants placed on top of the muscle will cause much less discomfort. Overall, the soreness is tolerable, temporary, and overshadowed by the beautiful result of the surgery.

In brief: Mildly
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Richard Tholen
While above-the-muscle placement is somewhat less uncomfortable, good technique and other adjuncts can make below-the-muscle placement nearly as pain-free. However, the risk of capsular contracture is MUCH less below the muscle than above, so if you factor in the pain associated with re-operation for correction of capsular contracture, then above-muscle surgery is a "fools bargain!"
Dr. Gregory Buford
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: No
Most patients are pleasantly surprised at how little pain and discomfort is associated with breast augmentation.
I perform an intercostal nerve block, inject your breasts with numbing medicine, and then wash out the pocket for the implant with more medicine. These steps together make for a much more pleasant recovery and most of my clients are off of narcotic medications within a day.

In brief: No
Dr. Gregory Buford
Dr. Gregory Buford
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends
Subglandular augmentation is not painful at all, and patients return to normal activities in a few days.
Submuscular placement is a bit more painful, however most women are back to normal in 10-14 days.

In brief: Depends
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Thomas Wright
Phlebology
There is moderate soreness for 3-5 days , and some soreness that lasts for a couple more weeks or so.

Dr. Thomas Wright
Dr. Thomas Wright
Dr. A. Nezami
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Yes, for 2-3 days
Therev is definitly pain with breast enlargment, but only for 2-3 days.
Most patient do not need any pain medication after the fifth day.

In brief: Yes, for 2-3 days
Dr. A. Nezami
Dr. A. Nezami
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery