I have had a breast lump for over a year. Should it be removed?

Not always. But it needs to be checked! you should have a physical examination, mammography, and most likely an ultrasound. Then you and your physician can make an adequate plan. Don't delay any longer - get it checked!
Not necessarily. Any new breast lump must be evaluated by a physician to be certain that it's not a cancer. This certainty can be reached by physical examination, mammography, ultrasound, and/or biopsy, depending on many factors. If your doctor is certain that the lump is not cancerous, it does not need to be removed.